Saturday, June 25, 2011
1. Funky tops and the trend to your look- MNG Mango at www.jcpenny.com
2. Classic platform pumps Forever21 www.forever21.com
3. Dark skinny jeans Fade to Blue www.jcpenny.com
4. A great bag is a must here are 2 classic shapes Simply Vera www.kohls.com
5. Black slim trousers are perfect to build a look around GAP www.gap.com
6. Statement jewelry adds interest to a simple look MACY'S (various brands) www.macys.com
7. Classic sack dress thrown on as is to run errands or dressed up with a jacket and a belt ZARA www.zara.com
8. Another easy way to add interest, color, and trend to any outfit is through your accessories pink scarf and feather shoulder jewelry ZARA www.zara.com
9. A basic blazer; add to jeans for a more put together casual look or pair with your trousers for a bussiness-casual ensemble FOREVER21 www.forever21.com
Saturday, June 11, 2011
I was lucky enough to view the exhibit last weekend and after standing in line for over an hour it became apparent that even in death McQueen has truly achieved icon status in and out of the fashion industry. It's tempting, but I'm not going to write an essay here on the designer; his achievements, personality, tragic death....No, instead I am focusing on the 'Savage Beauty' exhibit.
Thankfully the MET has given the public an opportunity to see in person the art of fashion to which McQueen masterfully contributed to. Photography was not allowed in the exhibit so I am unable to give you the full experience of the props/sets that truly gave insight to the designers creativity. I am able to give you some visual highlights of the artful creations; sculpted feather dresses, shredded crepe gowns, well see for yourself.....
I must say this year there was a bit of disappointment for this blogger. I realize the point of this event is to honor emerging designers but come on' we want to see FASHION. Any celebrity can put on a medeocore gown and pose for a picture, that's not the point here; it's about showcasing the art of fashion and your personal style. I feel better now that I've put my two cents in, you be the judge....
Saturday, June 4, 2011
After posting my neon story this morning (see below) I happened to stumble upon the perfect little gem. Housing Works in Soho is selling this Rebecca Minkoff mini morning after bag in neon green for a mere $40; that's the thing about New York, you never know what's right around the corner.
Embrace the trend and work it your own way; add a neon on bag to add color to your look ala MIU MIU, maybe your a 'full on' type of girl and can work complimentry neons head to toe like Christopher Kane. Can't get behind the neon? That's okay, try the Jill Sander-pairing bold colors with a white blouse. Whatever your style, the color wave is all about having fun and making it work for you. I'll get you started with a few of my favorites.
Onto the jewelry; first of all it is overwhelming supply shopping so much to choose from materials, notions, tools...then theres the actual designing of the piece....setting aside time to do the making....then the actual construction. After finally getting my head to stop spinning I found myself with my old favorites: Black and Gold. Coming out of my haze and seeing the actual pieces I had made I realized I might not be the next Cartier and I will just leave this as a hobby. So what's your hobby?